Cinco de Mayo: Mexican Rice Bowl Fiesta
Cheer up, you too can take part in Cinco de Mayo! The second-largest Mexican community in the world calls the U.S. home and today, it’s time to celebrate their independence!
Join me in celebrating Cinco de Mayo by making my Mexican Rice Bowls. Avoid the crowds and feel festive (without the offensive sombreros and fake mustaches) — all from the comfort of your own home.
All I ask from you is to skip the tequila so one doesn’t become two, three, floor. 😉
To power up this meal, I’ve added nutritional yeast, which gives you that cheesey taste (with NO SALT, NO SUGAR, and NO CHOLESTEROL) and a delicious dose of B12 that the body uses to produce energy. I’ve also included red pepper flakes for a fat burner that research shows may also combat against cardiovascular disease and cancer.
For more recipes like this one every other day of the year, join the PowerPerks movement today!
Mexican Rice Bowls
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice (follow instructions on bag)
- 2 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 3 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup cilantro, fresh
- 1 cup green onion, fresh
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Power Up! (Top your meal with):
- Chili flakes
- Nutritional yeast
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes, then add the spices and stir for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally so the spices do not burn.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Then add the bell peppers and the jalepeno. Cook until tender about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, and rice. Stir everything until well-combined.
- Serve warm with fresh cilantro and green onion.
Meal Math: 410 calories | 7g fat | 70mg sodium | 73g carbs | 17g fiber | 15g sugar | 18g protein
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. All Beller Nutritional Institute products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. There is no guarantee of specific results. Results can vary. All material provided on this website is provided for informational or educational purposes only. Consult a physician regarding the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your symptoms or medical condition. All sales final. | Copyright © 2017 Beller Nutrition - All Rights Reserved