Quinoa vs. Sorghum for High Fiber
Quinoa had its time to shine, now there’s a new whole grain I’m obsessing about– sorghum. Sorghum’s mild sweet flavor can easily be subbed for quinoa. Just like fluffy quinoa, this tasty chewy whole grain has a relatively high protein content, making it a great choice for a plant-based meal. It’s gluten-free, but contains TWICE the amount of fiber as quinoa!
Fiber is KEY for good reasons:
- cancer prevention
- daily detox
- gut health
- heart health
- steady energy
- blood sugar regulation
On chilly mornings when an extra pair of socks becomes a necessity, I’m totally loving this hot sorghum breakfast porridge instead of my usual bowl of oats.
Spiced Berry Sorghum Porridge
Makes: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- 1 cup uncooked whole grain sorghum
- 3 cups unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice + pinch grated lemon zest
- 2 cups raspberries or blackberries (okay to use frozen)
- Top each serving with an optional 1 tablespoon cashew crème or slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- Combine sorghum with milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until tender (about an hour). Drain excess liquid.
- Stir in spices, lemon juice and zest, and honey (if using). Top each serving with ½ cup berries and optional toppings.
*Try this! Make a big batch on the weekend and you’ll have a yummy to-go breakfast all week. You can also freeze individual portions and defrost one in the fridge the night before. Faster than fast food and infinitely better for you.
Meal Math: 228 calories | 13g fiber | 6g protein
Payment Methods Accepted: Visa, American Express, Mastercard, Discover, JCB, Diners Club, Amazon Pay, and Paypal. Sales tax added to spice and book orders where applicable.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. All Beller Nutritional Institute products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. There is no guarantee of specific results. Results can vary. All material provided on this website is provided for informational or educational purposes only. Consult a physician regarding the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your symptoms or medical condition. All sales final. | Copyright © 2017 Beller Nutrition - All Rights Reserved