Fiber: Bet You Didn’t Know This About It!
Want to lose a few pounds and power up your life? I got your back– err…waist. If you’re looking to shed pounds, reducing portion size is a given, but of course, easier said than done! Here is one more pitch to fiberize your intake. A new study published in the journal Nature Communications suggests that fiber, along with its other benefits, releases a molecule when digested called acetate that may have the ability to suppress appetite. This molecule travels to the brain where it signals us to put down that spoon and stop eating!
So next time you feel like you could eat the world, forget that addictive ice-cream or greasy burger and fiber up with nuts, oatmeal, beans, lentils, apples and blueberries. They’ll offer a huge return when it comes to silencing tummy grumbles.
Here’s my fave breakfast recipe to amp up your acetate and fiberize your diet!
Fiber-Boosted Mexican Tofu Scramble
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans
- 6 oz. extra firm organic sprouted tofu, drained, patted dry, and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh tomato salsa
- ½ medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ medium avocado, chopped
- Himalayan or sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add cumin, black beans, and tofu; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until heated through.
- Divide tofu mixture between two serving plates. Top evenly with cilantro, salsa, tomato, and avocado. Serve immediately.
Meal Math: 260 calories | 12g fat | 260mg sodium | 27g carbs | 10g fiber | 5g sugar | 14g protein
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. All Beller Nutritional Institute products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. There is no guarantee of specific results. Results can vary. All material provided on this website is provided for informational or educational purposes only. Consult a physician regarding the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your symptoms or medical condition. All sales final. | Copyright © 2017 Beller Nutrition - All Rights Reserved